Saturday, July 5, 2014

"Weird Al" Yankovic and Wendy Carlos: Peter and the Wolf

In September of 1998, Al began work with Grammy winning composer Wendy Carlos on the most unusual album of his career (and that's saying something!).  'Peter and the Wolf' is a fresh take on Sergei Prokofiev's original mini-opera, often used to introduce children to the sounds of an orchestra, and how to recognize different themes in music.  Like the original, each character is represented by its own musical instrument and theme, with these themes becoming interwoven as characters interact.  Al and Wendy's version introduces a new minor character, represented (of course) by the accordion.  Al's narration takes some liberties with the original as well.  Al get's particularly excited when Seymour the Wolf eats Bruce the Duck.  While certainly different musically than Al's typical recording, 'Peter and the Wolf' still carries Al's trademark sense of humor.

The reverse side of the LP is 'Carnival of the Animals, Part II.'  'Carnival of the Animals' was composed by Camille Saint Saëns, and featured themes for 14 different animals.  Al and Wendy's version contains 12 new animals that 'must have slipped [Camille Saint-Whats-His-Name's] mind.'  Al also provides rhyming verses introducing each animal in a humorous way, similar to the text Ogden Nash wrote in response to the original work.  I especially like the theme for the Vulture, which eventually settles down into a blues-for-synthesizer groove.

My older two kids and I listened to 'Peter and the Wolf' in the car yesterday, and I think it's the most that they've laughed out loud at an Al record.  If you are an Al fan, a Wendy  Carlos fan, or just a fan of unusual takes on classical music, I highly recommend tracking down a copy.

 'Peter and the Wolf' is the rarest of Al recordings.  Current eBay prices go for $30 or more for the CD, and a sealed LP can go twice or three times that much.  The first time I ever met Al, I had him sign my copy of this CD.  He remarked on its rarity himself, and asked how I had got a copy.  I actually made Al chuckle when he asked who to make it out to, as I replied 'Congratulations eBay auction winner.' 

An aside: This meeting with Al took place at the Hard Rock Cafe at Universal Studios, Orlando.  While Amy and I had enjoyed the concert, I decided I was going to try to meet Al, and managed to sneak backstage.  It's both the most nerdy and badass thing I've ever done.  I saw the group of people who had VIP wristbands huddling near one door.  I stayed near the back of the group, and just walked through the door when everyone started moving, keeping my eyes confident and walking with purpose, staying as far as possible from the security guards.  We got to an elevator, where again I hid in the back, trying not to be noticed but projecting an air of 'I have every right to be here.'  Once we got downstairs and arrived in the VIP lounge, I got to spend about 10 minutes hanging with bassist Steve Jay and a couple of his friends before Al arrived.  I got my handshake, autograph, and went out to my very anxious wife.  At the time, we had no cell phones, so she had no idea if I had successfully made it backstage or was being talked to in a small room by people in uniform.  I'm thankful to have such a loving and patient wife and hereby publicly apologize for worrying her so much that night.  About six months later, I got the chance to legitimately meet Al when he was giving an interview for Tampa radio's 102.5 The Bone. My picture from that session has remained my Facebook photo ever since.

Don't touch that dial.  Tomorrow, we got it all on UHF.

No comments:

Post a Comment